19.10.10

Whose agenda is it anyways!?

I have an frustrating dilemma at work. I'm working very closely with the CMO and the Global Comms. Officer of a very large company. Our first project with them was a conference that's now over. We put in a lot of hard work and produced some amazing video content. The issue is this: my boss wants me to get a meeting with the Global Officer to show her these (20 mins?) of video. He has a valid argument: to show our work, elevate it and remind the client of how good we are and how hard we worked.

I argued with him about it today. While that is the right approach for the agency, it is not the best use of my client's time. This deliverable, in all honesty, is small potatoes to her. The conference got over two weeks ago - it will not be repeated again next year. While the content produced was terrific, the conference in itself is not a strong asset to the company yet. More importantly, I'd be happy to show this work if I were dealing with a Manager or perhaps even a Director. But I fought hard with my boss about the right audience for this video. My client deals with the CEO & the CMO of her company - and I am unable to justify using her time just to earn my agency brownie points. In fact, I argued hat our leadership will shine through in understanding how to use her time productively and taking a meeting with her when we have results, not a product.

I was able to reach middle-ground with him but it left me wondering. My decision will not earn me any favors with my client or perhaps even my boss right now. And if I were to ever start my own agency or consultancy someday, I'm pretty sure I would have made the same decision as my boss. It is interesting - as a salaried employee, I am able to fight for what I believe is right for my client, and then my company. Would it still be the same if I owned my own company? Propaganda makes me sick - I'll deal with that when I get to it. Still have a solid ten years of work ahead of me before I begin thinking of myself as a free-agent.

In other news, my work of fiction is shaping. The guy is still in the airplane, thinking and muddled in his head. Maybe I'll have him sit in the plane through-out 4000 words. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment