13.9.10

Anekantavada

The last few days, I've spent immersed in the English translations of the ancient Jain Sanskrit manuscripts. Majority of the translations of ancient Jain scriptures have been done by professors and academics at universities in Germany. (It's doesn't cease to amaze me how and why Germany found the interest in Jainism and has been able to sustain and grow it over the years)

I'm not done with my readings, but for me to truly understand of essence of Jainism, I need to see it and compare it in context of other religions. Infact, I want to see how other religions differ and concur with Jainism. Kindle comes to my rescue and I've also been having interesting and deep conversations with my parents and family members about various tenets of Jainism. Of the five basic tenets of Jainsim: Ahimsa (non-violence) Satya (Truth) Asteya (Non-stealing) Aparigrapha (Non-materialism) I was instantly drawn to and find myself in agreement with Anekantvada (multiplicity of viewpoints.) Wikipedia describes it well, "the notion that truth and reality are perceived differently from diverse points of view, and that no single point of view is the complete truth." Before I expound intelligently on doctrines that resonate strongly with me, I need to learn. So I'm now reading the history of Hinduism & Buddhism. I've also downloaded the Dhammapada, the scared Buddhist text so we'll see what my mind is able to grasp and what it questions.

I don't remember who said it or where I might have read this (or maybe I imagined it?): A human soul is born with everything it needs to know. A few weeks ago when I embarked on this journey to learn and understand more about religion and Jainism, I might have expected a revelation, a sense of whoa! and perhaps, a little enlightenment. Instead I've realized that there isn't much I didn't know about the tenets of Jainism and what it prescribes. It doesn't require a particular course of study or upbringing to agree with the basic principles that Jainism adheres to. So the question for me to ask myself wasn't really, what do I not know about my religion. I've had to re-frame the question to: What is the significance of the rituals or the Kriya ? My confusion and dissonance wasn't necessarily with the religion, but with its ritualistic practice.

This is one of those quarterly obsessions I get afflicted with - once I go deep enough and absolve my puzzlement, questions and prejudices, I'll emerge empty, ready to fill my vessel again with a new obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment