4.11.10

Grooming Woes

Getting waxed is awkward. My brand of preference is the lady that does her job, gives an occasional smile, maybe a compliment but mostly stays silent and chats only when it pertains to a pesky little hair that refuses to be waxed. The "regular" woman I go to is all of the above and more. She is blessed with the such delicate hands that when she's threading my brows, I don't feel a thing. The problem is when I forget that my "regular" woman works at the salon only on Thurs, Fris and Sats.(I'm not that bad - I do know her name and her story. She is M. )

Twice in a row, I've forgotten this and ended up with another woman. I'm sure she is lovely. But I'd like for her to mind her own business. Maybe its the intimacy of knowing that she's probably the only other person after my husband that gets to touch my thigh fat, but at exactly what point we became "friends" in her books, I do not know. Perhaps she feels that because she can command me to "turn over," and apply baby oil on my raw body post-waxing, she feels that she now has the license and liberties to express concern for me and oh, also advise me about my marriage.

Here's the kicker. She's not even a sagely 40 something auntie who I'd respect and entertain just because she's old and knows what she is talking about. This nutcase is two years younger than me!

Yesterday at the table, she asks, "You're married na?" (Ya baba, she is desi)
"Yes. Why?"
"You should wear your ring in the proper finger. Everything is okay na with your marriage?"
"Um Yaa"

Who died and made you my marriage-worrier? What a curse. I like going to Desi salons because they get 'threading'. And it makes sense to get the rest of me groomed there. But this was ridiculous. If you are wondering, I did tip her properly. But that's the last she's seeing of fat my thighs.

When did my life choices become something I had to now justify to the woman who strips my body hair? I wear my engagement ring in my middle finger. Not a metaphor or twisted symbolism for anything but I prefer it there.

In better news, I made a request for a song on radio and they played it today. Made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment