31.1.11

In the new year: Part 1

India, as always, was fabulous. Since this visit was primarily about Sureka and Kuvadia weddings, I felt a little zapped towards the end of the ten days. With every visit, Bombay becomes a little more alien and a little more my own. Can't quite explain it. In some ways, the wealth divide is even more visible and palpable in India than it ever was before. Or maybe now I view it with a very different perspective than I did on my previous visits. I'm acutely aware of the fact that the lifestyle I can afford on my visits to India might not be the same if I actually lived there.

My own impatience with the inefficiencies and mostly, the lack of common sense that majority of populace employ in their jobs left me a little frustrated. Dinner with N & M at their posh Worli apartment gave us yet another glimpse of the type of India that I could put my finger on in about five years from now. And that, didn't seem so bad. One thing is clear, to survive and build a life in Bombay, more than money, one needs a reliable network of "contacts." Sometimes, I get the sense that everyone in India is engaged in either doing someone else a favor or demanding one from someone. I watched this with my friends and even my dad. I wonder if it gets difficult to keep track of what moral equity is owed to someone else?

Criticism aside, I'd want to come back for two reasons, I think. One is for my parents - that' the primary motivation. I also want to get to know my in-laws a little better. My visit to Coimbatore was actually very fruitful because it felt that my sister-in-law and I were able to cross a boundary with each other and establish a sisterhood based on mutual observations (and just a tad bit of bitching!) of the Menon family. And believe it or not, I had a better time shopping in Coimbatore than I did in Bombay!

The other reason, is quite simply to prove it to myself that I can do it. That I can be just as successful, if not more, in India as I plan on being here in New York.

I have to admit that I came back profoundly changed from this trip to India. I was both inspired and influenced by my friends as I saw them balance domesticity with careers. I decided then to stop living like a college kid and live like the 27 year old successful woman that I am. So not only have I started cooking more proper meals at home (khichdi and chaal-walu bataka nu shaak anyone?!) but I've also committed to taking more care of myself. R was quite amazed with this sudden transformation in me. I explained to him that last year my priorities had been traveling and setting the foundation for Stanford and JWT.

And so it is.





No comments:

Post a Comment